I thought I’d make a post on this as I didn’t know about it until recently, and that is that makeup does in fact expire! There’s a quick an easy way to tell when your makeup expires and it’s by looking at the back of your product – it should have a small jar with 6M, 12M, 24M, etc on the back of it – this means the product expires from 6 months, 12 months, 24 months, etc after you open it.
I did some research on the typical expiry dates on makeup in case your product doesn’t have this symbol as it was on the packaging that you threw out.
Signs that your makeup has expired:
- Has seperated
- Weird odor
- Has a weird consistency unlike before
General rules for the expiration of:
- Mascara, liquid, pencil or gel eyeliners: 4-6 months.
- Cream, Liquid or Stick Foundations or Concealers: 1-2 years (dependent on whether there’s a pump).
- Powder-based products (including mineral foundation): 2-3 years
- Lipsticks, Lip Gloss, & Lip Pencils: 1 years
- Cleansers: 1 year
- Toners: 6-12 months
- BHA or AHA Exfoliants: 1 year
- Facial or Body Moisturizers and Serums: 6-12 months
- Lip Balms: 1 year
* These facts vary through different sites, so I advise you to use the indicator on the back of your makeup/skincare product for the most accurate information on the expiry date.
I follow all fellow bloggers back on social media!
* I do not own these pictures.